Friday, March 25, 2011

The Streets Part 1

I just wanted to comment on the traffic here.  The traffic can get crazy here.  There are no crossing rules or laws and stoplights are only kind of followed at some intersections.  I remember when I first got here I would try to wait for a break in the traffic, for no body to be driving down the street, it just doesn't happen.  The best way to cross a street here is to just start going across and move slowly and straight forwards.




You have to be aware at all times.  This is something I have always struggled with in the US.  When riding my bike I am totally oblivious.  When walking down the street people I am with always get worried because it seems as though I am not paying attention at all, which is probably true.  I get lost in daydream land.  Here there is no room for that, you would be owned by a motorbike or taxi.  I have become a lot more aware around traffic and my surroundings in general.  I think part of this is due to necessity, but I think it is also due to the fact that I am getting used to being in a city and all the noises and sights so I am less distracted.

The obvious thing about the traffic is that it is mostly motorbikes.  Vietnam has a history of bikes.  Back in the days of very poor Vietnam it was considered a privilege to have a pedal bike.  Everyone got around on pedal bikes.  People would buy bikes in pieces if they did not have the money to buy a whole bike right away.  This seems to have a had a natural transition to motorbikes.  You still see pedal bikes on the road which seems incredibly dangerous to me, but they are far less common then the motorbikes.  I am not sure why it bikes have had this evolution here but it is pretty unique.

There is also a possible economic reason.  Imported cars are heavily taxed here to try to support domestic industry.  Cars are taxed at the rate of around 250% their value.  So it is far too expensive to buy cars.  This is also why you only see very nice cars here, because it is only the very rich that can afford them.  To me it is one of the more obvious indicators of the income gap in Vietnam.

The traffic is crazy and walking across the road even crazier, but it can be very interesting. There is a lot you can learn about a city and its culture just from its streets and traffic.  Next installation of streets will deal with public transportation in the city.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see a post Cory. What a difference from the woods of Maine. You are learning so much!

    ReplyDelete